I love happy hour. It makes me (dare I say it?) very happy. And here in Boulder County, we have a plethora of happy hour options at our many local craft breweries. “Is it possible,” I’ve often wondered, “to find a happy hour at a Boulder County craft brewery from 11 am to 11 pm every day of the week?”
The short (and sad) answer is “No,” but you can come awfully close. And for those dark hours of the soul with no happy hour, you can visit the less expensive taprooms or seek out some of the more random happy hours.
Let’s start with the bad news. Here are the times when there is no happy hour to be had (and you can find all the times for current happy hours on my complete list of Boulder County craft breweries):
- Wed., 11 am-3 pm
- Wed., 6-9 pm
- Thurs., 11 am-3 pm
- Thurs., 6-9 pm
- Fri., 2-3 pm
- Fri., 6-9 pm
- Sat., 11 am-3 pm
- Sat., 6-9 pm
- Sun., 11 am-3 pm
- Sun., 6-9 pm
What to do in these moments:
- Hit Very Nice in Nederland, Asher in Gunbarrel or Liquid Mechanics in Lafayette, all of which have low prices on their core offerings (as low as $4 per pint in many cases).
- Are the Broncos playing? Head for West Flanders as it’s happy hour there when the Broncos are on the field. Also hit West Flanders when it’s below 20°.
- Hear a train on the main BNSF line through Boulder? Blast to Sanitas where Train beers are discounted within 15 minutes of a train passing.
- Sunday? Bike over to Endo in Lafayette where wearing a bike helmet will get you a dollar off.
- Check out any of the Mountain Sun pubs as they have happy hours but they change frequently.
The Happy Hour Tour
Happy hours are easy like Monday morning. You can visit Bootstrap in Niwot or Twisted Pine in Boulder for all day happy hour. From 3-6 pm, the options are endless. And in the evening, you can throw Grossen Bart into the mix or if it’s very late (10 pm), head over to the Pumphouse in Longmont.
Another sweet day with all day happy hour at BRU and Twisted Pine (both in Boulder), and even more options in the 3-6 pm timeframe. Hit Upslope’s original location on Lee Hill Drive in Boulder in the evening.
Wednesday and Thursday:
Here’s where we encounter our first blank spots. You’re going to have to wait until 3 pm when you can visit 10 different breweries for happy hour, including the following (which I haven’t mentioned previously): Collision, Echo, FATE, Front Range, The Post Longmont, and Redhouse. Once 4 pm rolls around, you can add 12 Degrees, all Post locations, and Sanitas to the mix before entering the 6-9 pm dead period. After 9, you’ll find brief happy hours at Twisted Pine and West Flanders.
Things loosen up again on Friday with 11 am-2pm at Twisted Pine and 12-2 pm at Endo. You’ll miss an hour until 3 when many (but not all) of the breweries listed under Wed./Thurs. start up again.
On weekends, Boulder Beer is your friend with their 3-6:30 pm happy hour, as are West Flanders, Twisted Pine and the Pumphouse with their late night happy hours. Otherwise, you’ll have to supplement with the options listed at the top of this post.